Monday, April 18, 2011

A night of firsts.......

                                                            Sex with an Alligator
                                                                                                                                                   mix 3/4oz melon liqueur and 1/2oz sour mix
                                                                                                                                                                    then shake over ice and strain into martini glass
                                                                                                                                                                     add 1oz chilled Jagermeister, pour over spoon slowly
                                                                                                                                                            finally add 1oz Chambord(or raspberry cordial), also pour slowly over spoon.
                                                                                  
                                                                                                                                                                       If done correctly this drink should layer.
                                                       *meant to be drank as a shooter*
   So here I am working behind a bar that boasts classically inspired cocktails and doesn't even have shooter glasses. I'm growing to enjoy the more culinary approach to inebriating people from all different walks of life. Yet I mustn't forget my roots of the bar tending style I have coined as "blue collar boozeman/woman". Nor will I.                                                                                                                                                                                              I have also had the pleasure of meeting one of my new favorite characters in my ongoing saga of this bar life. His name is Tony G. He has inspired me to dig down into the dusty pages of long forgotten drink recipe books and spend part of my wasteful internet usage researching the origins of cocktails(even though it is a small part). He is a smooth dresser and a cornucopia of old school drink knowledge. And on top of being able to hold his own behind a bar that has cocktails that take minutes not seconds to craft which also fills up like that of most honky tonks and clubs, he can also dance like ReRun from the television show Whats Happening.
                                                        [Fred Berry was the original Notorious BIG]
  
   With all of his awesome drink knowledge and boss dance moves I can still one-up him in one field....the shooter department. Tony simply has never had to be in a bar where the yearning masses longing to be intoxicated have asked for a million different quick and to the liver shots on any given night. So when its time for a nice liquid stress killer(I should really invent a shot with that name) guess who he comes to. No, me.
So its a Friday night that had its ups and downs. Tony and I are the last two bar tenders and the clock is swiftly approaching 1am. Needless to say we both were long over due for something to take the edge off. The night started with C02 tank running completely out so no sodas or mixers could be used. I used tonic and soda water from the gun anyway and not a single person noticed or at least didn't complain. We were both glad to see our shift coming to an end and the thought of having to explain to one more tourist that he/she couldn't have a Jack and Coke because of C02 I'm sure both made use nauseous. It was time for a shot.
  Hey man! Whip us up a shot!
  Shit dude, your the one with all the stupid shot recipes!
  He was right. I was the one with a noggin full of shooters. So thats when it hit me. I haven't layered a drink in well....I can't remember.
   Ever had a Sex with an Alligator?
   What the fuck is that?
  Our shot tonight.
                                                                        [don't let the struggle fool ya,
                                                                                       shes totally into it.]
  
 There I went painstakingly mixing a shooter that I at one time hated to make. Mainly I hated it because it was always ordered by some ditzy poon who never tipped enough for the time it took to make it. Plus it always seemed to be asked for during a rush of people standing four deep at the bar. But not tonight no hate in this ole heart of mine. Tony stood over my shoulder watching in wonderment of my concoction. I slightly messed up the layers, give me a break it has been awhile. He distressed how bad he thought it was gonna taste and I didn't agree nor disagree. I just simply grinned as we cheered to a night soon to be in our rear view. We downed the shot in a few gulps. His idea of the bad taste was correct for him, but for me it was a blast from the past.
  We began cleaning and breaking down the bar. Tony came over around a few minutes later and said something to the affect of "Shit,dude! I see why you made us that shot." My buzz was also kicking in and I was as busy as a bee on my closing duties. Tony had found a seltzer water bottle sometime through out the night for his side of the bar so he could make a few drinks. Can you see where this is going? I was at the computer screen looking at a few open checks when I felt a cold pulsating spray of water hit my butt-crack and continue down onto my scrotum. I turned quickly around and there with a smile that would rival the cheshire cat and a bottle of seltzer water was Tony. This was totally a first. Not only in my bar tending career, but in my life. I've always been a fan of old slap stick comedy but never thought I would fall victim to it as well. We both chuckled, he more so, and went back to work breaking down the bar.
                                          [Dramatic reenactment of that night. Minus the nut shot.] 
   We were almost done with the night, my butt and nuts still damp, when Tony came around the corner with an idea. While holding an egg he said that it couldn't be broken in ones palm no matter how hard you squeezed. I first thought this was a cheap parlor trick to get me to break an egg in my hand. Then he gave his logic...Mr. Wizard. I still disagreed from trying but was a willing spectator. Another thing about Tony is that he is ripped. He works out a shit ton and has the guns to prove it. He was bearing down on this chicken egg(just wanted to clear that up in case someone didn't know which animal we in the bar biz get our eggs from) when it busted and shot liquid chicken all over me. This was also a first for us both. The first time he had ever tested a Mr. Wizard hypothesis and the first time I had ever been covered in egg as an adult. I can't remember when but I'm sure I was pelted by an egg or two as a child. He felt pretty bad about splattering an egg all over me and apologized frequently. All I could do is stand in bewilderment and lightly laugh at the whole situation. He told me that he was gonna take care of the rest of the closing duties and let me take off early. I was more then happy to go. So ended a night of firsts.
 Until next time CHEERS Y'ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment